Sunday 3 August 2014

Mystery solved...



 Well we made it to 'Greenway'. Wonderful day! Agatha was right when she described Greenway as 'the loveliest place on earth' -it certainly is a gorgeous place. It is located in the most picturesque spot surrounded by extensive woodlands and a gorgeous garden overlooking the stunning River Dart. The house is a beautiful classic Georgian building but this year was completely scaffolded as it is being re-painted so did not look its best from the exterior. However, the inside was a treat-you really felt part of Agatha's life, exploring the numerous family collections and perusing many photographs. She was clearly very happy there from 1939 until her death in 1976, becoming part of the local community, simply known as 'Mrs Mallowan'. She and daughter Rosalind started regularly welcoming the local children to play in the grounds and learn about the garden-this tradition has been kept and children from the local primary have a large area in the walled garden which they tend and grow on a regular basis.
Greenhouse in the walled garden.

A touch of vintage glamour...

Staying at The Grand on the seafront was a real treat-Agatha had her honeymoon there with second husband Max Mallowan. Still can't believe how luscious the welcoming Devon cream tea was-have never tasted such yummy freshly baked scones-they certainly know how to do those in Devon! 





Lashings of clotted cream...diets out of the window! 

Glorious views and a Grecian pool...




Leisurely dinner in the 1881 restaurant...




A touch of old school glamour-I wonder what Agatha and Max chose from the menu?


Round robin and five modes of transport!

Mr M likes to pack a lot in on these little breaks and as this was a treat for his birthday I had to let him choose what he wanted to do. His choice was to explore the Dart Valley on the 'Round Robin' trip. This all sounded a bit exhausting to me (and it was!) but the day turned out great fun as well. You start from Steamer Quay in Totnes and cruise by boat down the river towards Dartmouth- it takes just over an hour. 

Leaving Totnes you embark on a lovely leisurely journey which takes in the beauty of the Dart and you are treated to a commentary on the way. Past Greenway again and close view of the boathouse featured in Agatha's 'Dead Man's Folly':


Arriving in Dartmouth there is time for a look around and lunch at one of our favourite haunts 'The Sloping Deck'. This is a lovely lunch spot upstairs in one of the buildings in the Butterwalk. I love the 'Butterwalk' -ancient arcade so named because merchants would sell butter there in Medieval times.  Darthmouth is full of history and had many notable residents and visitors in its rich past. Even Geoffrey Chaucer mentions a shipman from there as one of the pilgrims it in the Canterbury Tales:


'A schipman was ther, wonyng fer by weste;
For ought I wost, he was of Dertemouthe.' 

I never knew that-perhaps I should have listened more in Miss Harrison's English A Level class! 


Then from Dartmouth it was onto the passenger ferry across to Kingswear, then straight onto a vintage steam train! By this time I was getting a little weary so I closed my eyes for a moment and as the engines chugged away towards Paignton I could imagine  I was in Murder on the Orient Express! Have definitely been reading too many Agatha Christies.

Paignton's always a fun summer resort so a little look around there and then onto the final leg of the journey, back to Totnes, this time on an open topped bus! There followed a hair-raising journey over hill and dale taking in the glorious countryside as we shot back to complete our 'Round Robin'. Phew! At last safely back to Steamer Quay and the car. A really lovely scout around the Dart and a highly recommended trip if you visit the area. 

High tea...only by  Michael Miller!

So a lovely few days in and around Torquay. No more delicious Devon teas for me for a while-the only tea I shall be having is this wonderful fabric by Michael Miller! My daughter asked me to make a tea cosy for her future Mum-in- Law's birthday this week and chose this fabric from my stash. 
It's called 'High Tea' and is a wonderfully retro design with fabulous colours. I think you could bind it with lots of colour choices but I chose pastel green to co-ordinate with the birthday lady's kitchen. What colour binding would you use to match your kitchen?

The only other tiny project I've had time for since returning (why is there always so much holiday washing/ironing even after a short break? )  is a little bandana for Oscar. he seems to like it! This is a little summer one for when he goes on his holidays to Wales soon. What colour shall I make him next?


Hope you're having a lovely weekend, sunshine and not too hot! Now I'm off to catch up with your lovely blogs...
Alison xx








 
































































16 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you had a wonderful break and your pictures are fab
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie-yes it was great. Looking forward to the next one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks wonderful.What a lot of lovely memories, you will have. Love the fabric you have chosen for the tea cosy. Lucky lady, to be the recipient of this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqui it was a lovely few days -we usually go in the Autumn but in high summer you can see why they call the area the 'English riviera' xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, this just made me sigh . . . looks so lovely, all of it. Would love to visit England again. and your little dog getting ready to visit Wales is just too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah! I do hope you can visit again one day. It will be Oscar's first little holiday-he is just 7 months and I'm sure he will love Wales! xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Alison,

    well your lovely message deserves one back! Wow, what an interesting holiday you had, thanks for the lovely photos and explanations.

    Ooh, cream tea, how nice! (I miss English Scones sometimes!)

    And Oscar is a total cutie, and I say that even though we live in a cat dominated household (haha). He looks like a little cuddly teddy!!!

    You made that tea cosy? It's lovely, I like the vibrant colours. Michael Miller fabrics are always pretty eye catching, I think.

    Do I understand it correctly that you teach/speak other languages? Please do tell!!!

    Greetings from a very rainy Belgium today!
    Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your message Ingrid-it is lovely to connect with you. Oh yes Oscar is like a teddy bear! I love cats too-we have a little cat called Phoebe as well as 3 dogs. Yes I have been a teacher of French all my career and my husband a German teacher -we have always enjoyed languages. At the moment it is still sunny in Cornwall, but I think the rain is on its way... Hope you have a lovely weekend Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a few wonderful days away Alison!! Hope your husband enjoyed his birthday treat!! :) Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really lovely thank you Christine-yes he did enjoy it very much and is wanting to go again! xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Alison,
    What a lovely blog I've enjoyed reading it. I especially like the little labels you've made.
    I look forward to reading your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind message-I have just looked at your gorgeous website! I have followed you and and look forward to seeing more of your beautiful vintage items xx

      Delete
  9. Ohh it must be a tea cosy kind of turn in the weather this week as we've both been making them! Love yours - very jolly. What a lovely blog.I will have a cup of tea and enjoy it some more now my kiddies are in bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb thank you so much for popping over! It is lovely to connect with you and delighted you like my blog. Yes I'm getting the cosy bug again like you...everyone will probably be getting a new one!! Alison xx

      Delete
  10. This post was a lovely read. I enjoyed visiting that part of Devon a few years ago and it was nice to go back thanks to your pictures. The trip to Greenway sounds so interesting and so does the Round Robin. The cream teas there are sooo delicious! Love your beautiful tea cosy, and Oscar's cute bandana....what a sweet dog!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you enjoyed the read Helen and that it took you back to Devon. Oh yes the cream teas are to die for....Oscar thinks he's the bees knees in his bandana-he is really looking forward to Wales!
      Alison xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx