Sunday 12 October 2014

Butterfly crochet and almost there...

I can't believe that the wedding is almost upon us! Less than two weeks away now ....these events when announced always seem so far in the distant future but the months and weeks have a way of slipping by so fast. I wanted to share with you a little more about my hand makes...


The table decorations are built around shabby chic birdcages in ivory- I had seen a few inspiring pics added to my pinboard and we managed to get ten gorgeous cages. They are quite tall and have silver candle holders, so I planned to add red velvet roses, trail ivy up the sides and light up the centrepiece with tiny warm ivory LED lights.  I really wanted a little butterfly to 'alight' on each cage and visualised they would be in vintage-look crochet.

I browsed at lots of patterns for butterflies but none seemed quite delicate enough/vintage enough until I came across this pattern on  Etsy-the pattern is available as an instant download for just £1.25.
Designed as a brooch, the butterfly looks like it has a double set of wings, giving it a 3D effect.
It is first created from a circle motif:
First I tried it as suggested using DMC Petra crochet cotton in natural. When the circle is made it is simply folded over-it looked so complicated at first but then made perfect sense!
The butterfly measures about 4 in across-lovely but definitely too large for the effect I was looking for. Nevertheless, I popped on the centre as suggested in the brooch pattern:
So cute! For me, this would be a little large for a brooch, but I think it would look great maybe on a headband. How would you use them?

Next I tried using this gorgeous Bergere de France 'Froment' crochet cotton. 'Froment' means 'wheat' but it is a very pale wheat, much more like the ivory of my daughter's wedding dress.

This time I used a 2.50. hook.



The results were much more delicate and just the right size! I then worked out a more sparkly 'body' by using craft wire and some of my favourite Japanese toho beads. I used silver lined crystal ones-I love these seed beads as they come in a larger size perfect for threading and more dramatic effects. 

A few evenings were spent creating several more. I love the feeling when you have practised a pattern so much you can do it without constantly checking the directions!

All ready to be popped on the centrepieces. 
Here's one I tried out:



Hope you like them!

Best wishes
Alison xx


11 comments:

  1. Hello Alison! Your finished butterflies are just beautiful!! I love the way you have added the beads and they will catch the light beautifully!! Hope all continues to go smoothly with the wedding plans!! Have a good week!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the butterflies Christine! They do seem to catch the light. I do hope they look good on the day! Still have another seven 'cages' to do....!

      Delete
  2. These are breathtaking Alison and I don't think the top one's too big for a brooch - it's just the right size! But I love the more delicate ones especially with the beads and they will be a stunning addition to the centre pieces. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, wow, what a wonderful mom you are, creating all these beautiful things for the wedding! These butterflies are beautiful, and the beaded bodies just perfect. If I could ever crochet a butterfly, I'd probably frame it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butterflies are so beautiful!!! I think that the first one might be a little large for a brooch for me, but on a winter coat it would work well as you can use something larger for that can't you. The smaller ones for the birdcages are divine and they would make beautiful brooches afterwards if they don't stay on the birdcages! I hope that everything goes well and that your daughter and son in law to be have a wonderful day and an even better marriage. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterflies are beautiful and the birdcages are a great idea. Your daughter is very lucky to have such a talented mum to help make her wedding special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those butterflies are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helda-I am delighted you like them!

      Delete
  7. oh cute! Sure your daughter will love them x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your butterflies are absolutely beautiful, and you have captured that delicate, vintage feel so well. I am sure the birdcages with them on will be stunning. I hope you enjoy all the rest of the preparations for the big day!
    Happy week ahead.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Alison! Glad I managed to catch up on your post! What a wonderful make, so delicate and pretty! I'm sure it will go well with the other decorations! I hope the wedding goes well!!!! You must be so excited!!!
    Love,
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx