Monday 29 September 2014

Farewell to a loyal companion

I'm afraid that I have not posted for a few weeks, or managed to keep up with your lovely news. It has been a sad September for us as we  lost our lovely oldest dog, the beautiful Kate, earlier in the month. She was 14 and had recently become rapidly unwell. An operation was planned for the second week in September, but things overtook and the vet had to do an emergency operation.  Although he did everything he could to save her, unfortunately the outcome was not good and we had to let her go on the operating table.
I know many of you will understand as you have beloved pets-the heartbreak it brings when you have to say goodbye. Yet we would do it all again for the joy and companionship Kate brought to us.
Kate was our little 'Millennium' puppy-born in August 2000. Rescued at only five weeks from a squalid flat, the mother gone, I knew all the rules said I should not have taken her but after she climbed on my daughter's then 6 year old lap and looked into her eyes-of course we took her. She had not been treated well and was highly nervous and fearful of threat, thus we worked so hard over a long time to gain her trust. She became the most loyal and loving companion and fiercely protective.  What fun she brought over many shared adventures; she read every emotion and always knew when to offer comfort. 
When my husband first saw her all those years ago he remarked, 'What a pretty face!' and the final words said by a stranger were 'Isn't she just beautiful?'  A fitting tribute to a wonderful friend, beautiful inside and out, who will remain on our hearts forever. 
We are gradually getting used to her not being here. She loved the two younger dogs and they are lifting us up with their unique, funny characters and loving ways.


I have also returned to my little part-time job as a lecturer -I have some lovely new trainee teachers full of zest for education which is a joy.  Also of course we have the wedding to look forward to which is now in less than four weeks time! 

I have been crafting items for the day and will write about this soon-a list of 10 'to-dos' is still to be tackled-scary thought! The 'designing' is all done but it all needs making/finishing, which includes cutting, sticking, stamping, putting together, arranging, crocheting...eek! I'd better stop here and get going!!

I will be catching up with your lovely blogs and news over the next week and soon be writing about my crafty makes again.
Hope you are having a lovely week,
Alison xx

19 comments:

  1. Dear Alison, I am so sorry to hear your sad news but, it seems to me that your gave Kate a happy and fulfilling life which may well not have been the case if you hadn't taken her. I feel your sadness and hope that all that you have to look forward to in the next few weeks helps you get through it!! Hope you have a lovely week!! Christine :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such kind words and thoughts Christine. It is still a bit empty without her. The little bichon and other lab are making it easier though they seem to miss her as well! There is much to look forward to though and I have more time this week and am getting working on all that wedding craft! The sun is still shining as well which is lovely, hope it is with you too xx

      Delete
  2. Dear Alison
    So sorry to hear the sad news about Kate. It is always so hard to lose a beloved pet.
    I hope all goes well with your job and the wedding.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellie, yes it is so very hard, they become such a part of our lives. I am getting to know my trainees, I only have one group so that is lovely and I have most of the week free now so I will be getting to grips with the crafts again! Hope you are well and having a good week xx

      Delete
  3. Alison, I'm so very sorry to hear about your beloved Kate. So wonderful you rescued her and gave her such a loving home. It sounds like she repaid your kindness with lots of love, too.
    Glad to see you back in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Deborah your kind words are very much appreciated. She was just so lovely, I miss her beautiful, loving face but know that she is now free from pain. I am enjoying catching up here again and look forward to more of your inspiring posts xx

      Delete
  4. I am very sorry for your loss! I lost my cat this summer and it was so hard! Still looking for him when I go to my parent's house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne I'm so sorry you lost your cat in the summer. Our pets just begin to mean so much to us, we miss them terribly when they are no longer there. I am feeling a bit more like crafting and writing again though and looking forward to catching up on your lovely blog xx

      Delete
  5. I am so so sorry to hear your news about Kate, it sounds as though she had a tough start, but a wonderful life with you and your family and that you will have lots of happy memories of your time together. Hugs to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind message Amy. There are so many happy memories-I can just never get my head around the fact you will never see their sweet faces again, it is so sad but I am coming to terms with it now. Thank you for thinking of me and I am looking forward to reading your lovely blog again xx

      Delete
  6. Dear Alison! Very sorry to hear you lost Kate, she looks like a beautiful dog! It is wonderful that you had her and she enriched your life so much! I understand how much you must miss her.
    I'm thrilled that you have gone back to lecturing, what a rewarding thing to do! Good luck with all the wedding preparations!
    Hugs!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid thank you so much for popping over and your kind words. I still miss Kate but the little lecturing job is great-it is only a few hours a week, I lecture in Education PGCE, secondary. I do love working with enthusiastic teachers of the future! I still have plenty of the week for crafting though! xx

      Delete
  7. Dear Alison I was so sorry to read that you have been going through the heartbreak of losing your beloved dog Kate. It is such a sad time, and I can understand how you feel. Kate was so lucky that you gave her the love and care she needed after a difficult start......it will be good to remember all those happy years of your life with her and the joys she brought your family.
    Enjoy your new work, it sounds great!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a kind and thoughtful message Helen.I lam so, so glad we took her and she did have a healthy, long life and I know she realised how much we loved her. I just so wish they could live longer! The job is just a few hours a week but it means I can still enjoy helping new teachers make their way! Still plenty of time for crafting though! xx

      Delete
  8. Oh Alison, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. It's very hard to lose such a faithful and loyal companion. Enjoy your new job and the preparations for the happy event.
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui thank you so much for such a kind message. Although for the past year really we knew deep down she was going downhill it was still a shock to face up to. I am back to the wedding preparations with a vengeance-not long to go now! xx

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about Kate. Being a dog lover myself, I understand how you feel.
    You do have a lovely wedding to look forward to-- and going back to lecturing would be really mentally stimulating. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison, you don't know me but I came across your post and was really moved by it. I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets become such a part of our lives and it leaves a terrible gap when it's time for them to leave us. Your post is such a lovely tribute to Kate who had such a horrible start in life but went on to have a happy life with your family - that is a great gift you gave her! Take care, Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicky it is truly lovely of you to take the time to leave such a thoughtful message. I can see that you are very like minded in loving these wonderful creatures who leave such a hole in our lives when they are gone. She has left us with truly beautiful memories and I am so, so glad that we did take her.
    Thank you and best wishes
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx