Thursday 29 May 2014

Remaking Gatsby

Today I was delighted to get a little influx of orders through my little shop Farmhouse Traditions.  Laura Ashley vintage fabrics have been going well and I'm disappointed to come almost to the end of what I have of the fabulous 'Palmetto':
A classic fabric from 1983 featuring a decorative design in sage/raspberry, this gorgeous design  is reminiscent of the Art Deco styles of the 20s/30s. Perhaps the popularity of it owes something to the fabulous remake of The Great Gatsby! Some of us remember falling in love with everything Gatsbyesque first time round with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow-anyone remember it? 

I've also had a few orders for my patchwork hexagon collections, especially the one featuring William Morris and Liberty designs. I create my hexagon collections from fabrics in my own collection so that they can be made up into something new and enjoyed in the 21st century! This one is a mix which has a little Sanderson in as well.  Most of these designs are reclaimed from other projects with some dating to the 1970s. I love the Liberty 'Cottage Garden' and Sanderson's 'Willow Bough'.
Most of my customers add the hexagons to their cushion and quilt projects-I wonder what other projects they could be used for-any ideas? 
It was through my hexagon collections that I recently met the lovely Dorothy of 'Dorothy's Room' . Dorothy  purchased some of my Laura Ashley 'Spring Mix' collection:
Dorothy very kindly asked to mention these on her wonderful blog. It is all down to her that I have finally started my own blog after many months and years of intending to, but never getting down to it! 
Dorothy is so talented and makes the most amazingly detailed fabric projects. Her personalised bags are absolutely beautiful-do take a look at them! 

I can't thank Dorothy enough for being the catalyst that finally enabled me to take the leap into Blogland-I think my problem now rather than never writing one, will be becoming addicted to it! 




5 comments:

  1. Just popped over from Dorothy's blog. Congratulations on your new blog!! Loved seeing this Laura Ashley fabric from long ago!
    Happy weekend.
    Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen
      Thank you so much for popping over. I am so looking forward to sharing news and projects with crafty friends! Delighted you like the Laura Ashley fabric-it has such a timeless enchantment about it-memories! Hope you have a happy and sunny weekend too,
      Alison xx

      Delete
  2. Angela you filled my eyes with tears with your lovely words - thank you so much. Your blog is going great guns and I know that I will always love coming to visit you - I am going to make a bag with your beautiful hexagons as I have been accepted as a volunteer in a Victorian village so need something authentic to take with me - your hexagon bag will be perfect. I will be visiting your lovely shop again soon Angela. Big hugs and loves to you. Have a fabulous day tomorrow.
    Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to meet you Alison. I follow Dorothy and you are correct, her projects are fab.
    I am loving the look of the Laura Ashley, Palmetto. I am not usually a fan of Laura Ashley fabrics but that pattern is more my taste.
    Keep up the great Blogging.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming over Cally! It s wonderful to meet new like-minded friends. Delighted you like the 'Palmetto'-you're right it isn't as typical as some of Laura Ashley's usual designs but it is so stunning. I'm really enjoying the blogging! Have a lovely weekend Alison xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx